Full Body Massage Denver – Stress Relief for Wellness
Wellness Massage Therapy is used primarily for individuals who desire to keep themselves as healthy as possible during normal stressors of everyday life. A stressor is a situation, event, or demand, which disrupts a person’s equilibrium and triggers a reaction called the stress response. Life is full of challenges that may be considered stressors.
Well-known stressors include:
- Death of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Legal troubles
- Change of residence
Less obvious stressors include:
- Biochemical stressors (heat, cold, pollutants, poor nutrition)
- Personal philosophical issues (values, conflict, lack of purpose)
Illness and injury are also physical stressors, which may be compounded by accompanying fear, anxiety, and disruption of normal activities. Any change in an established life pattern is a potential source of stress.
People react to stressors differently. What may be a major stressor to one person may not trigger the stress response in another. Our attitude towards life’s challenges is a major factor in how stressors affect us.
Signs of Too Much Stress
Signs that your optimal level of stress has been exceeded include:
People experiencing too much stress are frequently more clumsy and forgetful than usual, and may be involved in more accidents. Chronic health problems associated with a prolonged stress response include tension headache, backache, ulcers, colitis, blood sugar irregularities, high blood pressure, and heart disease according to J.D Curtis and R.A Detert in How to Relax; A Holistic Approach to Stress Management.
How Massage Therapy Helps
Massage therapy helps restore balance, and brings the body back to normal by triggering the relaxation response. Massage therapy also relieves many of the mental and physical problems caused by stress. The benefits include:
- Relaxation Response: The relaxation response is the opposite of the stress response and brings the body back to normal function. The endocrine and autonomic nervous systems activate bodily changes resulting in a “sigh of relief” – slower heart rate, deeper breathing, more relaxed muscles, and better internal circulation and digestion.
- Physical Relief: Chronic stress often leaves chronic muscular tension, trigger points, and poor circulation. These problems respond well to traditional massage techniques.
- Mental Relief: Massage can be thought of as a one hour vacation from stress – a get-away from life and its challenges. During a massage a peaceful space is created if you give yourself permission to relax. Recent research has confirmed that massage for relaxation reduces anxiety and increases feelings of well-being according to Frances Tappan and Patricia Benjamin in Tappan’s Handbook of Healing Massage Techniques.
- Healthy Pleasure: The skin is the largest sensory organ in the body. Ashley Montague reports in Touching that humans are not as healthy when they do not receive touch. Massage therapy has been found to provide a safe sensory pleasurable experience
Our Denver massage therapists give expert full body massages for stress relief in our relaxing Cherry Creek clinic. Call 303-777-1151 for an appointment today!